Call us free on 0800 404 5804

What type of properties can I use a Professional Consultants Certificate for?

Posted 30th June 2022

When building or buying a house there are a lot of things to consider and professional consultants certificates may not be on the top of your list. However, it is really important all homeowners have the correct legal documentation as it can majorly impact or hold up your plans going forward.


What is a professional consultants certificate?

A professional consultants certificate is a legal document proving the satisfactory build of your property. 

A PCC must be signed off by a qualified architect or surveyor to confirm your property has been built according to planning permission and building standards. They usually cost around £2,500 and are valid for 6 years.


When do you need a PCC certificate?

Not all houses need a PCC, and whilst you may think it is confusing to know if you do or don’t, it's actually pretty straightforward.  Home owners will only need to acquire a PCC if they want to remortgage, sell or rent their property out with a buy-to-rent mortgage.

With the call for increased building safety over the last decade, a PCC confirms your property has been built according to safety and planning permission regulations. 

What type of properties can I use a PCC for?

A professional consultants certificate can be used for properties that fall within three main categories; properties on the market to sell, rental properties if you will have a buy to let mortgage, or if you are going to be remortgaging a property. 

Properties on the market

We understand that putting your property on the market can be a daunting task, especially when it's a property you’ve built yourself. 

Therefore you want to make sure it sells in line with your expectations, but you also don’t want the process to drag on for months.  It is really important you get a PCC to authenticate your build, as not having the correct certification will only mean your sale is likely to be delayed.


Do I Need a PCC for Rental Properties?

When renting a property out to tenants there are many regulations and standards you have to follow to ensure it is a safe and livable property for the people living there.

However, you will only need to acquire a PCC if you are renting out your property with a buy-to-let mortgage.  A buy-to-let mortgage is for people who buy a property to rent out to tenants, often for profit, rather than living in it themselves.

A PCC allows the structural safety of your build to be validated, this ensures there will be no nasty surprises down the road if something goes wrong with your build.


The majority of providers, such as banks, will usually require a PCC beforehand. This is to prove your property was built according to regulations and standards set by your local council. 

It is a good idea to get a PCC prior to finishing your build. This is because your certificate provider will need to make checks throughout the building process to ensure everything is running smoothly.  

It is quite unusual for certificate providers to provide retrospective PCCs, as they were not present during the build and therefore cannot ensure everything was done according to the correct standards. 

Want to know more about Professional Consultants Certificates?

Is your property on this list? Make sure to protect yourself with a Professional Consultants Certificate – get in touch with our team today.


Back to latest news
Our professionals hold at least one of the following accreditations
Get your quote arrow-right

Cookie consent

Please choose which cookies you want to consent to.