Call us free on 0800 404 5804

The Certificates You Need For A New Build

Posted 15th July 2022

If you’ve ever been in a position where you’ve built your own house, you know it can often be a stressful time. With so much to think about things can easily get forgotten. However, with all the legalities involved with a house build, it is important to keep an eye on the smaller details including certificates.


Why do I need new build certificates?

New build certificates are particularly important when it comes to a new house build.  It is really important that you are protected in your new home, not only from a safety point of view but in guidance with the law here in the UK.

As your new build nears completion, you’ll want to start thinking about the different certificates you are going to need.  These certificates aren’t just about checking off a few boxes; in fact, they ensure the safety of your home for you and your family. 


Which New Build Certificates May I need?

From ensuring satisfactory construction to the safety of any new electrical devices, it can often be a lengthy process before getting the go-ahead to move in. 

Still, confused as to what exactly you need to make your new build house a success? We have done a rundown of a few of the certificates you may find yourself needing to make your build all that much easier. 



PCC Certificate

Not all new build houses need a Professional Consultants Certificate, however, if you are planning to re-mortgage, sell or rent your new build, you will. A Professional Consultants Certificate will last for 6 years and ensures your new build is safe to pass on to new owners. 


A Professional Consultants Certificate is a legal document issued by a surveyor confirming the safe build of your home. Many elements will be looked at during your house inspection including draining, foundations and the roof structure.  


Electrical Saftey Certificate

An Electrical Safety Certificate is a document stating your new build is electrically sound. It is really important to get all your electrical appliances fitted correctly by professionals to ensure they are safe. From wiring to electrical device installations, an Electrical Safety Certificate ensures all are safe to use in your new build home. 


Air Pressure Certificate

All new build buildings whether it is for commercial or residential purposes must have an Air Pressure Certificate.  To put it simply, this certificate tests the air tightness of a building, and whether air can escape through uncontrolled means such as gaps or cracks in walls.  Excessive air leakage can result in your building not being energy efficient, meaning it can be much more expensive to run.


Appliance Certificates

We’re sure you will have lots of new appliances in your new build such as boilers, radiators and an oven. Many of these will need certifications to confirm the safe installation before they can be approved for use.


Although not all appliance certificates are mandatory by law, it is a good idea to ensure you have them. This will give you the peace of mind that your appliances have been installed in guidance with housing standards in your new build. 


Want to know more about new build certificates?

Get in touch if you would like to get a quote or know more about our services here at Professional Consultants Certificates, and we’d love to help. Or, check out our FAQ’s page to answer any questions you may have about new build certificates.
Back to latest news
Our professionals hold at least one of the following accreditations